Thursday, April 26, 2012

Illustration Portfolio

Okay, let me be frank here - I sort of applied to Illustration as a back up. 









But, the more I think about it, and the more work I've seen from the program the more excited I've been to go into the program - I love the comics and things I saw from the graduating class this year, and I was happy with the work that I saw and it's definitely something I'm interested in.  Funnily enough, while I was interested in Sheridan's animation program I was not excited about taking classes in animation - I'm more interested in character design, layout design, stuff like that.  Talking with some people made me kind of realize I'm not actually interested in being an animator, and I think illustration might actually be a better fit for me.  So I'm pretty excited for September.


Anyway I got a 63/100, the minimum score for Canadians was 55/56 but as an international student I was waitlisted. I was first on the waitlist, and ended up getting accepted about a month later.


But consequently I didn't spend much time on this portfolio, and I don't even have a real firm idea of what I actually sent in. This is more of an approximation of my portfolio? I have a decent memory but I definitely threw this together the night before I sent it off so my apologies.






Drawing Test
This is the part I rushed - I did it all the evening before -  and believe me, my scores reflected it. Be smarter than I and spend time on it! :)

Three Figures (6/10)




Did some 5 minute sketches for this one, UH I noticed later a lot of people did these super rendered drawings. But it says they're judging you on proportion/scale/ability to draw figure from life, so I assumed these would be good enough.  I'm amazed they even gave these a 6, tbh, I guess my proportions and shit were good enough that they excused the fact that they're super sketchy and messy.  Oh my god, super embarrassing.


Non-Pencil Figure (5/10)

Actually I meant to apply to Sheridan's Illustration last year, but I missed the deadline by a lot (their website info was wrong, in my defense). I had whipped this up before I found out the portfolio deadline had passed, and just used it this year. I'm not sure what I thought the 'interesting mood' was, there isn't one at all.  Not surprised it's my lowest score.


View through a window (6/10)





Objects: (6/10)
Sorry, I didn't scan them - but I had a teddy bear, paper crown, a toy bucket and a sandcastle tool. I rendered them very plainly, it was a line drawing with some fur details on the bear and some lines. SUPER simply drawn. In the after, I had the teddy bear seated on the bucket wearing the crown and holding the tool like a scepter.  I probably scored my points in creativity but not in the actual drawing.

Personal Works
Okay, this is where I'm not positive what I submitted -- to the best of my memory I believe --

 Process Piece
Mermaid - Threw this together in a few hours to fulfill the 'process' requirement. It counts as 1 piece in the portfolio all together. I hated the piece, and I really want to re-explore the concept without a time constraint and a deadline looming.  The sketches turned out way better than the execution, which was a goddamn mess before I went over it in pen wow.






Everything else
 I honestly just threw together old art from my hard drive, I'm not positive if I sent in all of these, or one of something else or something else.




The 7/10 drawing skills isn't bad, especially considering they specifically asked for personal/expressive drawings. 12/20 of my drawings are observational, and the remaining are representational. I didn't have anything personal or expressive at all.


Media exploration = 7/10 - overwhelmingly drawing materials (ink, charcoal, chalk pastels, markers), three done in Photoshop, a couple of watercolour paintings. Probably should have had some oils/acrylics.


 I got a 6/10 breadth unsurprisingly, this is like 90% figures with only a handful not being from life drawing.  I would include more objects in a future portfolio, hand/feet studies, um ANY location at all (what the fuck, me?) 


I have no idea for  what they wanted with visual impact. 
























A hand originally done as a 'before' for my animation portfolio, in pencil which I did scan but somehow lost. As you can see, mostly  
+ One of those really detailed pen object pictures

Sketchbook
Maybe I should have included some collaging? More locations, objects, thoughts and studies. 











No comments:

Post a Comment